• Ryan Sheehan

Triumph in the M4 Derby

The Cityzens travelled to Wiltshire yesterday to take on Royal Wootten Bassett Football Club in the Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division. City went into the game unbeaten on the road and would keep that feat going after winning 0-3.

We saw a fantastic performance from the Cityzens yesterday which just goes to show the strength this squad has this season, with noticeable absentees from the first-team squad due to injuries and also a noticeable absentee from the technical area with Simon Johnson missing the game, it was down to his assistant's Sam Woodruff and Michael Butcher to guide us to victory. A great performance from everyone saw us get the job done and bring three points back to Berkshire having won the "M4 Derby", the game was coined this by club captain Alfie Grant.

City took the lead early on as Max Laschock struck the first of his two debut goals for the Cityzens when, amongst a group of players, he was able to steer home Eddie Lazarcuk's free-kick.

It was a sloppy goal for our hosts to concede, but they seemed to respond reasonably well after going behind and quickly went on the hunt for an equaliser. Following a probing run, Zak Skinner sent in a shot which appeared destined to be going in until it was deflected wide by Ellis Cowd. Sam Ockwell then sent an effort just wide of the post.

With 26 minutes on the clock, Joe Wigmore almost found our second goal as the ball flashed across the front of Harrison Ellis' goal, whilst he got a shot on the ball it was unfortunately off target.

The best opportunity of the half for our hosts came on 27 minutes as Tommy Ouldridge thundered in a shot from the edge of the area that had Charlie York beaten but crashed back down off the bar.

As we passed the half-hour mark City were awarded a corner, Lewis Bebb sent a dangerous ball towards the box, but Bassett were able to clear it away from danger.

In the 39th minute, we saw Bassett go down to ten men as Bampton was sent to the sin bin for dissent.

With 42 minutes on the clock, Eddie Lazarchuk put another great ball into the box via a free-kick, but no-one could quite get a head on it to put it towards goal. Eddie then got on the second ball and put it back towards goal, but Bassett cleared it from danger.

City started the second half Brightly and ensured Harrison Ellis had to be very alert in the early stages of the second half.

Harrison Ellis was ultimately beaten again as we approached the hour mark though as Tyler Cruz set up Laschok for a well-taken second goal from the debutant.

With 64 minutes on the clock, City gave away a penalty, but Charlie York who had been in fine form all afternoon parried Alex Dinsmore's spot-kick and city looked set to see the game out with a clean sheet.

After Lewis Bebb forced a save from Ellis in the 77th minute with a shot from range and Dan Davies overcooked a pass to Will Okine-Peters in the 78th minute, Will Okine-Peters eventually put a firm seal on the game in 86th minute, by producing a dazzling individual goal that saw him drive down the right, cut inside his man and coolly slot home beyond the Ellis in the Bassett Goal.

City could have gone further in front as we entered injury time, but Laschok passed up a chance for his hat trick before Ellis denied an effort on goal from Dan Davies.

111 views0 comments
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2021