• Ryan Sheehan

The Citizens Suffer A Cupset

City played a rotated side which saw four City U23s start in a shock defeat to Hellenic League Division One East side Penn & Tylers Green in the Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup.

Penn & Tylers Green came into this game off of a 6-0 win against our ground sharers Woodley United.


City’s opponents got off to such a quick start that not everyone had arrived at the ground yet as they opened the scoring only 30 seconds into the game. City lost the ball straight from kick-off and Penn & Tylers Green took the ball out to the right side, their right-winger, number 12, crossed the ball in and Rashid Hamid flicked the ball on to Dean Allen who’s header didn’t have much on it but made the ball hit the back of Marco De Sousa, who was trying to clear the initial header, and went in for an own goal, Reading City 0-1 Penn & Tylers Green.

Minutes later McKoy Palmer dribbled forward for City but had to wait for support, he pulled the ball back for Kris Tuffour who had a shot first time just over the top left corner. Another chance came soon after, Josh Blackwood carried the ball out of defence and passed the ball to McKoy Palmer who set himself and had a shot from outside the box which forced the keeper into a good save down to his right.

McKoy Palmer got forward once again, this time down the right, the Penn & Tylers Green defence was struggling to deal with him, he took his shot from just outside the box but saw his shot hit the side netting.

Although City had some good chances in the 18th minute Penn & Tylers Green were awarded a penalty when Jerry Fomboua pushed Joe Dulieu in the box and he went down. Striker Dean Allen put the penalty away into the bottom right corner, Reading City 0-2 Penn & Tylers Green.

City cut Penn & Tylers Green’s lead down to one goal ten minutes later when Aaron De Rama squared the ball to McKoy Palmer, Palmer fake shotted to come back inside onto his left foot and fired a shot at goal past the goalkeeper who couldn’t get down quick enough to make a save, Reading City 1-2 Penn & Tylers Green.

Although City were having the better of the chances they weren’t keeping the ball particularly well and struggled to completely take control of the game.

Another great chance fell for City when Marco De Sousa played a great through ball for McKoy Palmer but the keeper redirected the pass only as far as Mo Davies who looped a shot into the almost empty net but it went just over.

Minutes later Penn & Tylers Green almost scored an own goal when Michael Duffy tried to pass the ball back to the keeper who came to collect the ball at the same time causing the ball to run past the keeper towards goal, Mo Davies and Penn & Tylers Green keeper Sam Butcher were in a race for the ball, the keeper won the race though and cleared the danger.

Penn & Tylers Green went into half-time with the lead at the break as they took their chances and City didn’t take theirs despite having more of them.

City started much brighter than they did in the first half. Aaron De Rama almost caught Butcher off guard with a shot from range which he fumbled but recovered quick enough to prevent any City player turning in a rebound. Only a minute later, McKoy Palmer had a free-kick tipped past the post with a strong save.

In the 55th minute, Reading City had a big penalty appeal when Mo Davies was taken out by the keeper, however, the referee somehow gave nothing. The ball fell to Jerry Fomboua as Mo Davies was down but his shot was cleared off the goalline and Aaron De Rama put his follow up shot wide.

The chances died down for the Citizens as they couldn’t find an opening in the Penn & Tylers Green defence. In the 71st minute, Marco De Sousa chased down a great through ball from McKoy Palmer, he got a stronger touch of the ball than the goalkeeper but the ball ran too far away from him allowing Dean Munday to clear the ball for a corner.

With ten minutes to go Penn & Tylers Green had their only chance of the 2nd half when a free-kick from the halfway line was sent into the box. Dean Munday headed the ball towards goal and hit the post as Jordi Wilson scrambled across goal to try and make a save Tom Stables headed the rebound towards goal although it looked like he didn’t know much about it, Josh Blackwood tried to clear the ball but didn’t get good enough contact on it and the ball went in, Reading City 1-3 Penn & Tylers Green.

That’s how the game ended at the Rivermoor, Reading City had the better of the chances throughout the game but weren’t able to finish their chances like Penn & Tylers Green were and they were ultimately punished by this with a defeat.

Reading City move onto another cup game on Saturday 14th September away to Abingdon United in the FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round.

55 views0 comments
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2021