• Ryan Sheehan

Hurricane City hits Taplow

Near neighbours Taplow United were simply blown away after an impressive performance from the citizens leading to a 0-10 score line at full time.

The citizens made the short trip to Taplow to take on Hellenic League Division Two South outfit Taplow United in the Second Round of the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup yesterday, a game which saw us record the club's highest ever victory.

The Citizens went ahead early with a goal coming in the 9th minute after some good attacking play by Khalid Simmo and Davies. Simmo's initial shot come off the crossbar but Davies was there to head it and make the scoreline 0-1.

It wasn't long before The Citizens scored again to double their lead against our hosts of the afternoon, after some more good attacking play Matt Stockill was in on goal and put us 2-0 up 14 minutes in.

Fergus Burton had a fantastic chance to put us 3-0 up 23 minutes in, however he blazed the ball over the crossbar keeping the scoreline at 0-2 for now. Despite the missed opportunity on goal City didn't let up their dominating performance and Mo Davies was able to finally find that third goal in the 41st minute. As half time got nearer it was clear that the match was all but over as Taplow hadn't yet challenged Yashwa Romeo who was in goal for the Citizens.

Then at the cusp of half time Fergus Burton redeemed himself following that earlier miss by finding the back of net to put us 0-4 up, adding to the misery for Taplow who would've needed to overturn the deficit if they wanted to progress in the cup.

Following the break, the citizens didn't take the foot off the gas and continued to make things difficult for our hosts. Khalid Simmo was the first to score in the second half as we continued to dominate proceedings, finding the back of the net in the 50th minute and making the scoreline 0-5.

On the hour mark Matt Stockill found the back of the net to earn himself a brace and increase our lead to 0-6, Minutes later Fergus Burton would also find his second goal of the afternoon putting that earlier miss well and truly behind him by increasing our lead to 0-7, the goals didn't stop there as Matt Stockill would find the back of the net again 66 minutes earning the matchball for his hat-trick. With the scoreline now at 0-8 the citizens were only one goal away from equaling our rivals at Binfield and their 9-0 scoreline from the night before.

Jerry Foumboua found the back of the net 72 minutes in equaling the 9-0 scoreline set by our locals rivals Binfield the night before, Foumboua must have been thinking what all citizens fans were thinking as minutes later he would score again putting us into double figures, surpassing the scoreline of 0-9 which our rivals at Binfield probably thought wouldn't be broken.

The citizens progress into the third round of the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup following their dominate 0-10 victory.


"Ruthless performance and 6 different goal scorers. 4 from 4. On to a very tough weekend next week"
7 views0 comments