• Ryan Sheehan

Fleet Pearse through the Cityzens defence.

The Cityzens played their first game in almost 4 months as they took on Wessex League Premier Division Outfit Fleet Town in a friendly at home this afternoon and suffered a narrow 0-1 loss, following a first-half goal from Matt Pearse.

On a gloomy afternoon in RG30, there was plenty of spark out on the pitch as the Cityzens had a bright start to the game.

The Cityzens went looking for an early goal and with only 5 minutes on the clock, had the first opportunity of the game to take the lead but were denied. The cityzens continued to cause problems for visitors Fleet Town and in the 8th Minute, Nathan Jones whipped in a dangerous ball from a corner, which was met by a player in a City shirt but went over before it could cause any real danger.

The Cityzens continued to cause problems as they applied the pressure and in the twelve-minute, a low-shot came off the post.

With fifteen minutes on the clock, the Cityzens continued to impress and were having a good spell on the ball.

Michael Butcher delivered a powerful free-kick towards our visitors' box in the 19th minute, but it was cleared away from danger before we could get a head on it.

Fleet Town sent a powerful free kick in our direction in the 23rd minute, but there was too much height on the ball and it went over the bar, rather than causing any danger.

Our visitors, Fleet Town, broke the deadlock in the 27th minute after Matt Pearse went one on one with Charlie York, Charlie was left stranded as he'd come out of the net to try and pounce on the ball and Pearce capitalised dinking the ball over the keeper, to put his side in front.

The Cityzens spent the rest of the first half chasing an equaliser, but with Fleet Town rejuvenated after their goal it was a battle, with our visitors seeing much more of the ball than they had earlier in the game.

At half time the scoreline stood at 0-1, after a good start from the Cityzens, they had gone behind following Matt Pearse going one on one with Charlie York and dinking the ball over him.

With the second half underway, the Cityzens had a bright start as they looked to find a way back into the game.

As we passed the hour mark, our visitors were again testing the City defence but weren't able to extend their lead.

In the 63rd minute, the Cityzens were awarded a penalty. Tyler Cruz stood up to take it but it was saved by the Fleet Town keeper denying us an equalising goal.

The Cityzens kept battling on looking for that equaliser and came close on a number of occasions, most notably in the 81st minute when the ball came off the bar, most thought it had gone in but, so unlucky!

The Cityzens kept going and didn't stop until the final whistle, in the 89th minute their high-tempo football saw Will Okine-Peters drive towards goal after some great attacking play from us, however, he was stopped in his tracks as the off-side flag was raised.

The referee brought the game to a close after a few minutes of stoppage time, and it finished 0-1 to our visitors Fleet Town.

142 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2021