• Ryan Sheehan

Ending September Unbeaten

Tuesday night's win away to Holmer Green meant that the Cityzens would end September unbeaten and go into October as league leaders.

Holmer Green had the first chance of the game as they went for goal with three minutes on the clock. but it didn't trouble Charlie York.

In the fourth minute, City were unfairly punished as Holmer Green were awarded a free-kick. City initially won the ball but the opposition player threw himself to the floor after taking a few steps.

Five minutes in and Dan Davies almost found the first goal for the Cityzens. However Sam Butcher who was in the sticks for Holmer Green was able to come out and clear.

Twelve minutes in and it was clear this was a high tempo game, but still goalless. Our hosts had another chance on goal, this time from range but it was off target and didn't trouble Charlie York.

Fifteen minutes in and Holmer had another shot on goal, the initial corner was cleared away, but our hosts get on the second ball and sent it over the bar again. Holmer would go for goal again in the sixteenth minute and thought the ball was in as it came off the woodwork but luckily for City, it came out and we were saved by the post.

City put a good ball into the box in the twentieth minute via a free-kick, but Sam butcher came racing out of the Holmer goal to get to the ball before it could trouble him.

With twenty-nine minutes on the clock City almost found the opener after some good play from Joe Wigmore, but the flag was raised for offside.

Joe Wigmore wasn't waiting long for another chance to get on the scoresheet and in the thirty-first minute, he put us ahead. Opening his account for the Cityzens as he put a bullet of a header past Sam Butcher in the Holmer goal following a corner.

In the thirty-seventh minute, Joe Wigmore looked to earn himself a brace with a powerful shot, but it went over the bar.

With forty-three minutes on the clock, City had a good free-kick after D'Cruz was fouled but it came to nothing.

City started the second half brightly as they led 0-1.

Holmer had their first chance to equalise in the sixty-eighth minute after they were awarded a free-kick, but it hit the wall.

In the eighty-second minute, City were awarded a penalty, which Tyler Cruz stepped up to take and put the ball past Sam Butcher in the Holmer Goal.

In the eighty-sixth minute, Holmer Green found a goal which was nothing but a consolation goal that late in the game as Isaac Thompson put the ball past Charlie York.

27 views0 comments
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2021