• Ryan Sheehan

Cityzens get off to a good start at home

Whilst it was an unfortunate result for City as they had to settle for 1 point after going down to 10 men in the 2nd half, and then conceding very late on. They'll be happy to keep their unbeaten run going.


It was an unfortunate result for City as they had to settle for one point after going down to 10 men in the 2nd half, and then conceding very late on.

City started stronger with some early chances. A long throw from Eddie Lazarchuk was flicked goalwards by Tyler D’Cruz but saved by the keeper. A few minutes later a long ball was played up to Lewis Bebb, which he headed towards goal, but it was easily saved.

Lydney started to get into the game roughly 20 minutes in, as Thompson delivered a cross to English at the back post who headed on target, but Charlie York made the save and held to deny a second chance.

City had some joy from set-pieces throughout the game. Alfie Grant had a header blocked from a corner which was subsequently cleared, but only as far as Kai Stubbs on the edge of the box. Kai Stubbs fired a shot low through the traffic towards the bottom left corner, but it was cleared off the line.

City’s best chance came half an hour into the game. Tyler D'Cruz beat his man down the left and had Kai Stubbs to pick out in the box, he put it low, but Kai Stubbs couldn’t turn it in under pressure from a defender.

City continued to have the lion share of chances with Nathan Jones testing Mullan from range with 10 minutes to go in the half. A few minutes later, Kai Stubbs got on the end of a good delivery from the right side, but he headed wide.

In the final few minutes, the momentum shifted in Lydney’s favour, a shot from outside the box stung the gloves of York and went out for a corner. Then in injury time, Lydney had a goal disallowed as a cross from deep on the left side went into the far corner, but Charlie York got brought down when jumping to claim it.

It was quite an even game at halftime with City probably having the better chances, but only one which was a good goal-scoring opportunity.

City’s chances continued in the second half. Stubbs headed a cross from Eddie Lazarchuk on target, but it was straight at the keeper. Will Okine-Peters received a long pass on the halfway line then dribbled between two pressuring Lydney defenders to the edge of the box, but his finish lacked a bit of quality as he shot wide of the right post.

Then City finally got their breakthrough. Eddie Lazarchuk’s deadly long throw was cleared only as far as Will Okine-Peters, his shot got blocked, but it fell nicely for Nathan Jones who unleashed a shot through the traffic into the bottom left corner to score his 2nd goal in as many games, Reading City 1-0 Lydney Town.

Lydney pushed up a gear following the goal. English had two shots blocked in the box before Dan Davies cleared the danger from the six-yard box. Then a few minutes later, Thompson latched onto a long ball over the defence and had only Charlie York to beat, the referee believed that Michael Butcher brought him down from behind resulting in him being shown red putting City down to 10 men with 20 minutes to go, however, on review Michael was unfairly dismissed as there was no malice and Thompson lost his balance.

Lydney piled the pressure on following the red card, taking advantage of the extra man and Thompson had a good shot after cutting in from the left side saved at the near post. Then soon after English had a great opportunity just inside the box but wasted it firing straight at Charlie York.

City couldn’t quite hold on to the three points despite their resilient defending, as in the 92nd minute English put a cross in from the left which Charlie York got to, but he couldn’t hold onto it, and Halford was there to capitalise on the mistake and tap it in to win Lydney a point.

Reading City 1-1 Lydney Town.

It was an unfortunate result for City who defended well after the red card, however, they didn’t create good enough goal-scoring chances throughout the game to grab another goal.

City’s next game is away to Holmer Green on Tuesday 29th September and the next home game is in a week on 3rd October against Shrivenham. Make sure to follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ReadingCityFC.

87 views0 comments
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2021