• Ryan Sheehan

Cityzens battle for hard fought point at Burnham

Tuesday night saw the Cityzens travel to Buckinghamshire, where they took on Burnham in their second league game in their 2020/21 Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division campaign. Both teams battled well and the game ended in a 0-0 draw.

The Cityzens started off brightly and with only four minutes on the clock they almost found the opener, after some good play from Tyler D'Cruz saw the ball find Matt Stockill, unfortunately Stockill's shot was just a bit too high and went over the bar.

In the opening ten minutes both teams set a high tempo to the game as the crowd settled in for an entertaining evening in Buckinghamshire.

With fifteen minutes on the clock Dan Davies almost put City ahead, after a free kick came in from the left hand side. Burnham did initially clear it, leaving Dan to get on the second ball but it went over the bar. We weren't waiting long for another opportunity to go for goal as in the eighteenth minute, City earned another free kick and put a terrific ball in towards the box but Burnham were able to put it out for a corner.

Burnham almost got their opening goal in the twenty second minute of the game, after a fantastic free kick beat the City wall but it went wide before troubling Charlie York. Burnham would go for goal again in the twenty fourth minute but a resolute City defence pushed the ball out for a corner, the corner didn't cause any danger either.

With half hour on the clock, the score remained level at 0-0.

In the thirty fifth minute City put another good free kick towards goal allowing Tyler Cruz to get a head on it, however Burnham were still able to keep it out. In the thirty ninth minute we saw some more great attacking play from the Cityzens, however Burnham's keeper was able to come out and sweep the ball up before it causes him any danger.

In the forty third minute we witnessed a great block from Alfie Grant, which pushed a fabulous free kick from Burnham out for a corner.

At the other end of the pitch we saw Matt Stockill shoot from the edge of the box as we approached half time, unfortunately the ball went over the bar.

The referee brought the first half to a close and both teams went in level, with the score 0-0 at the break.

The first big talking point of the second half was when we saw the handbags come out in the fifty second minute, the game took a slight break while the referee spoke to those involved.

As we approached the hour mark the game still had a high tempo to it as both teams looked for that opening goal to break the deadlock in Buckinghamshire.

In the fifty ninth minute we again saw another terrific clearance from Captain fantastic Alfie Grant as dangerous free kick came in.

City's first chance to go for goal in the sixty eighth minute as the ball flashed across the Burnham goal but no one was able to get to it before the keeper.

In the sixty ninth minute City went for goal again, but a great save from the Burnham keeper pushed it out for a corner. A great ball was delivered into the box, but no one could really get a head on it.

In the seventy first minute, Josh Blackwood was sent for an early bath as the referee showed him a straight red for a foul.

In the seventy fifth minute, Burnham were able to go for goal as they began to take advantage of the extra man but Charlie York made a great save to keep the scores level.

In the eighty third minute we saw some more resolute defending from City as Burnham tried to find a goal as they took advantage of the extra man, there wasn't much respite for the City defence as in the eighty seventh Minute Burnham would make them work hard again but with a mixture of great defending and great goalkeeping, we were able to keep Burnham out, much to the surprise of the home ground who thought the ball had gone in.

As we went into added time, City continued to fight and appeared to be time wasting as First Team Manager Simon Johnson was booked for throwing the ball out of the ground, much to the annoyance of the home crowd.

In the last chance of the game for City, they earned a free kick after Will-Okine Peters was brought down following some terrific footwork, a good ball was sent into the box but the Burnham keeper punched it clear.

The referee then called time on the game and City would head back to Berkshire with a well earned point and a clean sheet, a very good result against tough opposition. However we can't help put feel they could have secured all three points had our chances on goal been more successful, but that's football and receiving four points from a possible six away from home is a superb achievement.

35 views0 comments
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2021