#CityU23s | Unbeaten run comes to an end

The unbeaten run for our U23s came to an end at the weekend in a 1-0 defeat to Windlesham United. It was a poor performance from Reading City U23s in the second-half following a promising first-half which resulted in Windlesham eventually getting a superb winning goal and winning the game when City U23s didn’t deserve to win.

Although City U23s didn’t deserve to win in the end, their first-half performance was promising.


The Citizens started with a good chance early on when Bub Touray got on the end of a cross from Marco De Sousa, who showed great work rate to get the ball and retain it on the right side of the box, went close early on and then just after Ben Lambourne had a shot from outside the box deflected wide of the left post.

Windlesham went straight up the other end though and should have opened the scoring, the right-winger, who had a good game, hit the post with a shot across goal, then the ball came out to number 4 who blazed his shot over, if it was on target it then maybe it would have been 1-0.

Kris Tuffour had a free-kick on target well saved fifteen minutes into the game, the keeper managed to retrieve the ball quick enough, so Bub Touray didn’t get to the rebound to turn the ball in.

The right-winger, 7, had another chance soon after as he got behind the defence again but Jordi Wilson made a good save to prevent a goal.

Halfway through the half Reading City U23s got two free-kicks in quick succession on either side of the pitch both taken by Jude Van Spall. The first from the right was a superb ball in, but nobody rose high and headed it towards the goal; instead, the ball came to Kris Tuffour who couldn’t get enough on the shot to challenge the goalkeeper. The second free-kick was into the six-yard box and onto Jehmeil McNeil’s head as he headed it onto the bar.

With ten minutes to go in the half Reading City U23s played some great football which led to a shot from Bub Touray which was well saved. The ball came out to Ben Lambourne about thirty seconds later, but he sliced his shot wide.

Just before half-time, Kris Tuffour played a great ball out to Jude Van Spall on the left who cut inside before forcing a great save out of the goalkeeper to keep the scores level going into the break.

At the break, it was Reading City U23s who had the upper hand, but Windlesham United had also had some good chances in the first-half, especially the early opportunity.

It was end to end action early on, Jordi Wilson made a good save from a free-kick and then up the other end everyone thought City had scored, but it was kept out, the ball came out to the edge of the box, and the keeper made another good save to prevent a goal.

Fifteen minutes into the half the City defence failed to clear the ball, and it fell for seven who fired barely over the bar. They had the next chance as well when a ball came in from the right, but the shot was put over from close, Windlesham United were coming close to scoring.

Windlesham United found their breakthrough with less than ten minutes to go when substitute Abdul Abdelhamid made a stupid foul a couple yards outside the box. The free-kick routine worked for them as they lay it off for ten who rocketed a shot past the onrushing wall into the top left corner, Jordi Wilson had no chance to get to it. Unfortunately, the goal also ended the run without conceding a goal, but if you’re going to concede at least, it was an unbelievable goal, Windlesham United 1-0 Reading City U23s.

Two minutes later Jordi made a great stop to prevent an own goal as Windlesham United crossed it from the right and Nathan Mindomba accidentally sent it towards the bottom left corner while trying to clear it, Jordi Wilson scrambled across and pushed it out wide as a Windlesham player was rushing towards the goal to try and score.

Into injury time Windlesham United got another free-kick in almost the exact same place, they used the same routine, and City U23s didn’t learn from it as the shot was driven low towards the bottom right corner, but Jordi Wilson made a great save to push it onto the post, the ball then rolled across the line, and Jordi got to the ball before another Windlesham player could at the opposite post.

That’s how the game ended, Windlesham United were the more deserving side as Reading City U23s created hardly any chances in the second half. The goal from Windlesham United was sublime and a great show of skill.

The next game for Reading City U23s is another away game, and it’s against Wraysbury Village and is at the Memorial Ground, The Green, Wraysbury TW19 5NA. As always, you can follow the games on twitter along with what’s happening with all youth teams @RDGCityFCYouth.


Here's what Under 23s Manager Deano Jones had to say following his sides defeat:

"Gutted to have lost today after controlling most of the game. Credit to Windlesham United on a good defensive display and the win. It’s a complement to us that they made the pitch smaller to contain us. Must learn to stick to the game plan & instructions and come back stronger next week".
29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2020