• Ryan Sheehan

Citizens secure a well deserved win.

In the second part of the first Reading City doubleheader of the season, the first team picked up three points versus fierce opposition in Lydney Town. Not only did City win, but they also did it with two great goals, one from McKoy Palmer with his signature chop and score and a sublime run resulting in a goal from Matt Stockill.

Match report by Nick Bird

Reading City were unfortunate not to have scored in the first half as they had multiple chances to score, but the goalkeeper performed well to keep the home side out.

Matt Stockill had the first of the chances as he dribbled forward from just inside the Lydney half before taking a shot from about 20 yards which was heading for the bottom left corner but was prevented by a great save by the Lydney goalkeeper.

Soon after debutant Kai Stubbs-Alleyne almost had his first assist as he set up Adam Cashin-Murray to have a go from just inside the box but his shot was blocked. The debutant had a chance for a debut goal when the roles were reversed, and Cashin-Murray crossed in for Stubbs-Alleyne, but he couldn’t direct the header goalwards.

Matt Stockill had another chance to add to his impressive goal scoring tally so far this season when Cashin-Murray played a through ball for him to get away from the defence and into a one on one, but the keeper positioned himself well to shut him down and prevent a goal.

Another chance went begging when a looped cross from the left by McKoy Palmer went to Devonn Reid, but he couldn’t get significant contact on it and instead the ball bounced over the goal.

Adam Cashin-Murray continued to be influential in this game as he had another opportunity to give the hosts the lead when he reached a loose ball which had spiralled from a tackle but his shot went into the side netting.

Reading City went into the break with complete control of the game, and they couldn’t believe that they didn’t have the lead at the end of the first 45 minutes.

It was more of the same at the start of the first half as McKoy Palmer played through Matt Stockill who’s shot was saved very well by the Lydney Town goalkeeper.

Lydney Town’s first memorable chance at scoring came when Charlie York went out of his area to clear up a loose ball, a mistake in defence meant that Lydney could try and catch the goalkeeper out while off of his line, however, the shot went wide.

After that, the chances fell for Reading City again, Stubbs-Alleyne had a shot from the edge of the box saved, and Matt Stockill had a half-volley, after the wall blocked his free-kick, kept out of the goal.

But it was the visitors who were gifted a goal completely against the run of play in controversial circumstances. Arthur Furness was beaten to the ball by Lydney’s striker who only had Charlie York to get past, York came out to close down the angles and slid at the striker who started to lose his balance as York came at him and then fell after getting past the goalkeeper with only a minor touch. The referee must have thought he saw a more significant touch cause he awarded a penalty. The penalty was finished into the top right to give the visiting side the lead. Reading City 0-1 Lydney Town.

However, the lead only lasted about a minute as McKoy Palmer gave the home side the opening goal they’d been looking for all game. Matt Stockill crossed from deep on the right side, the ball went past Kai Stubbs-Alleyne and went to Devonn Reid, Reid played a short pass back to McKoy Palmer who chopped back inside which brought the ball down and took one of the defenders out of the game, he then calmly opened up his body and put a right-footed shot across goal into the bottom right corner. Reading City 1-1 Lydney Town.

Josh Blackwood was unlucky not to double the lead soon after as he dribbled out of defence and wasn’t closed down, he played a quick one-two with Palmer and hit the ball first time and only got denied by the post.

Lydney almost doubled their goals from a free-kick, the shot was aimed at the top left corner but went just over and hit the post holding up the net, it looked like he had scored for a second from my view, but fortunately for the hosts he hadn’t.

Soon after the Citizens got the lead they’d worked so hard for, Kai Stubbs-Alleyne played a beautiful improvised pass to Matt Stockill which allowed the midfielder to bomb on down the right-wing and into the box, he cut inside to lose a defender, Palmer and Cashin-Murray were in the box calling for a pass but Stockill backed himself and fired a shot into the goal off of the underside of the bar and the Reading City players, bench and fans all went berserk as Stockill provided another goal of the season contender alongside his screamer vs Windsor. Reading City 2-1 Lydney Town.

City almost added a third when Cashin-Murray had another opportunity to score when Palmer passed a ball through to him, he hit the ball first time, but the goalkeeper pulled off another good save. If the goalkeeper wasn’t on such good form City would have run away with the game much earlier so credit to him for an excellent performance.

That’s how it ended, City got a deserved win although they would have preferred if it was a more comfortable victory considering the amount of missed opportunities, but they got what they came for at the end of the day, and that’s three points.

Not only had they got the win they completed what all had hoped for in the first Reading City doubleheader of the season by beating Lydney Town and making sure it was two wins from two for the Citizens and made the atmosphere even more joyous at the first team and U23s club social that evening.

The Citizens are in 8th place in the Hellenic Premier League and play Virginia Water next on Tuesday 24th September away at 19:45.

Match Reaction

First team manager Simon Johnson had this to say following our win:

" Fully deserved. Questioned the desire from our lads in recent weeks and they’ve fully shown we have it in abundance. Great character after going one down against the run of play".
52 views0 comments