Citizens narrowly defeated in Berkshire derby.

The Citizens welcomed Windsor to The Rivermoor on Monday Night in a Royal Berkshire Derby, which would turn out to be a frustrating game for the Citizens who struggled to create many chances but defended well despite having ten men for seventy-two minutes. It was made even more frustrating for City as the only goal they conceded came from an offside player, which tarnished a nice goal from Mahumba.


Windsor got an early free-kick due to a foul from Luis Le Paih, who had a really good game, Ive took it, but despite getting it over the wall missed the target.

Reading City’s first chance came ten minutes in, Joe Bainbrigge poked the ball to Cashin-Murray who pulled his shot wide of the left post.

Soon after that Steve Lee got a yellow card for pulling back Mahumba who would have been away with just Josh Blackwood to beat, of the two yellow cards this seemed harsher due to it being Lee’s first foul and there being covering players. His second yellow came only a couple of minutes after the first for a similar foul on Mahumba again as they got tangled up with each other which made it hard to tell who’s fault it was, but it was given against Lee. After a discussion with the linesman, the referee showed the red card, and Lee was sent for an early bath.

Inbetween the yellow cards Ive had a shot from the left side of the pitch on the corner of the box which was an easy save for York as it went straight at him.

After the red card, Windsor had a corner which went off one Windsor player before a soft loopy header to Ingram who headed over the bar as the loopiness of the header made it awkward for him under pressure from Reading City players.

A couple of minutes later Reading City caused issues for Windsor after a great ball was put in by McKoy Palmer, Cashin-Murray got on the end of it and headed it onto the post before the referee blew the whistle as the offside flag had gone up.

With twenty minutes left in the half Windsor got their goal, Ingram played a through ball for Mahumba who was offside, and there were very loud appeals from both the fans and the City bench, the flag stayed down, and Mahumba dribbled into the box, Luis Le Paih caught up, but Mahumba cut inside to lose him and put his shot past York to give Windsor a controversial lead, Reading City 0-1 Windsor FC.

Ten minutes later Reading City manager Simon Johnson was given a yellow card for dissent towards the officials.

Windsor were in control of the game due to the extra man and had the final two chances of the half. A deep cross was put in from the right side towards the penalty spot, Josh Blackwood couldn’t quite jump high enough to head it away, and it went to a Windsor player who had a free header, but he couldn’t direct it on target. The final chance of the half came in added time when Ive, who had an excellent game and made it difficult for Arthur Furness every time he got the ball, received a great long ball from the defence. He kept the ball under close control and then shot after coming inside a bit; however, the shot lacked some power and was saved comfortably by York.

So the visitors went in with the lead at the break with a goal from Mahumba, and the hosts were down to ten men with a lot to do. Despite this, they were in the same situation on Saturday and overcame it to get the win, so they knew they were capable of pulling it off.

Windsor had a few good chances early on in the second half. The first came from a free-kick, similar to Palmer’s in the first half, it got flicked towards the goal, but was stopped by York who was able to regather the ball after spilling the save. From the clearance, Windsor worked the ball forward again, and Mahumba was played through, he tried to put his shot around York but missed the target. Windsor had another opportunity two minutes later when Ive drove down the wing and then put a low cross in towards the back post, but Mahumba couldn’t put the shot on target again.

Reading City’s first good chance of the half came with twenty-five minutes to go. They played the ball around the box nicely, substitute Mitchell Parker got the ball inside the box with his back towards goal from Cashin-Murray, he hit his shot on the turn through the traffic of the Windsor defence, but it was kept out by a block from one of the Windsor players as the keeper couldn’t get to it with his attempted save.

Windsor went close again with just less than twenty to go, Etefia found himself open on the right and got into the box, he got the ball on his left foot and put his shot between De Rama and Blackwood, but York made a fine stop to prevent Windsor extending their lead.

Potentially the Citizens best chance of the game came in the last minutes of the match as Yashwa Romeo was in on goal, but Trivonas made a good save to stop the home side getting the goal to tie up the game.

Ive had two final chances on the counter very late on to confirm the three points for his side and grab a goal to conclude an excellent performance from the left-winger. They were very similar chances as they were both shots that barely went over the bar from the left side just outside the box, the first was closer and had more power behind it but the second wasn’t far off either.

Windsor managed to see the game out and take the three points, City found it hard to create many good chances due to being down to ten men but were very unfortunate with the goal they conceded, but over the season it will hopefully balance itself out.

The next game for Reading City is at the Rivermoor on 26/10/19 against Fairford Town. At this game, we will be paying tribute to those that gave their today, for our tomorrow. The players of both sides will wear poppy adorned shirts as a tribute.


Here's what First Team Manager Simon Johnson had to say following his sides narrow defeat:

"Having to battle with ten men for seventy plus minutes didn't help our cause tonight. The lads battled well again but there was no cutting edge tonight, Lots of work to do before Saturday".
63 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter


Reading City Football Club

The Rivermoor

Scours Lane

Tilehurst, Reading


RG30 6AY

Tel: 07592 705641


© All content is Copyright Reading City Football Club 2020